Sleep apnea is a serious and common disorder of sleeping that occurs when you have irregular breathing due to either obstructive or central sleep apnea. Here at Cloud & Hill Dental Care, we want you to receive the treatment you need to get back to a good night’s sleep. Some treatments for sleep apnea include the following:
– Change your sleeping habits, such as not sleeping on your back and instead on your side.
– Purchase a CPAP (Continuous Positive Air Pressure) device, which supplies air through nasal your passages while you sleep to improve your breathing.
– Be fit for a dental appliance that supports the jaw, preventing your airway from collapsing.
– If overweight, follow a weight loss treatment, and avoid alcohol and smoking.
– One of the last options is to have a surgical procedure done to remove tissue blocking the airway.
If sleep apnea is left untreated, you may be at risk for different health problems such as depression, an irregular heartbeat, diabetes, or high blood pressure. More serious issues include a stroke, heart attack, or other heart problems. Some risk factors are higher in men and women over 40 years old, males, being overweight, excessive alcohol usage, and/or smoking.
If you believe you have sleep apnea, schedule a consultation with Dr. John Cloud today by calling 501-868-3800 where we can discuss what treatment is best for you. Our dental team in Little Rock, Arkansas, is happy to assist you with sleep apnea treatment today!