The uncontrollable growth of cells that invade and cause damage to the bordering tissue is called cancer. There are many types of cancer, manifesting in many different areas of the body. Oral cancer, which includes cancers of the tongue, lips, floor of the mouth, cheeks, and hard palate, can be life threatening if it is not found, diagnosed, and treated early.
Symptoms of oral cancer include:
– Lumps, swellings, rough spots, or eroded areas on the gums, lips, or inside the mouth
– Velvety white, red, or speckled patches inside the mouth
– Bleeding in the mouth for an unknown reason
– Numbness or tenderness in the face, mouth, neck, or ear for an unknown reason
– Sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily and are persistent
– The feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat
– Trouble speaking, chewing, swallowing, or moving the jaw or tongue
– Chronic sore throat or change in voice
– A change in your bite
– Dramatic weight loss
– A lump in your neck
If you notice any of these symptoms, schedule a screening for oral cancer in Little Rock, Arkansas, as soon as possible.
You may have a higher risk of oral cancer if you:
– Are male
– Are over 50
– Smoke marijuana
– Use smokeless tobacco, like snuff or chewing tobacco
– Consume an excessive amount of alcohol
– Have a family history of cancer
– Have had excessive sun exposure
– Have poor dietary habits
For more information about screening for oral cancer in Little Rock, Arkansas, and to schedule your next screening with Dr. John Cloud, please contact Cloud & Hill Dental Care at 501-868-3800 today. Our dentist and team are excited to serve you and your family!